Mystic Velebit Hike
Discover the mystical Velebit mountain
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Discovery, Family, Food & Wine, Guided Tours
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Large Group
Departure to small town situated between the Velebit mountain and the sea, located on an important road direction towards the Adriatic highway. Karlobag is a wonderful blend of the Mediterranean and the continent, crystal clear waters and most beautiful Croatian mountain Velebit. From Karlobag we drive to pass Baske Oštarije, border of central and southern Velebit through which in prehistoric times people were trading between the coastal and continental side of Velebit.
Short stop at Kubus, cube made of rock and monument from 1847, which was set to mark the completion of this important Velebit road. The view from the cube covers the coast and the pertaining islands.
Area of Middle Velebit is extremely karst area characterized by large stratified terrain. „Hips“ and peaks are separated by sinkholes and bays, and external influences, geological and hydrogeological characteristics of the terrain caused the development of karst topography that ranks this area on the top of the world's karst morphology.
We hike to a prominent peak at the southeast of Baske Ostarije with two peaks and vast grassy saddle between them. This is one of the most beautiful peaks considering picturesque point of view. At the peak ridge, 50 meters before the summit, there is a broad and deep karst cave. After a rest at the top, we descent to the hostel for a lunch.
- professional mountain leader service
- accident insurance
- snack/lunch during activity
- entrance ticket for the Nature park Velebit
- transfer (on request)
- travel insurance
Duration: 8 hours (app.walking time: 4 h). From Karlobag town, duration: 6 h
Activity level: K2- MODERATE/T1
Altitude difference: 500m+
Terrain: gravel – rocky/mountain & tourist path
Departure: Usually we meet the group at Starigrad – Paklenica. We continue to drive along the coast (app. 1 hour) to the small historic town from where we head towards to one of the most important mountain passes on Velebit. It's possible to arrange meeting in this beautiful coastal town. Tour ends at Starigrad-Paklenica or Karlobag town, depending on place of departure.
Transfer: on request
Lunch: Please bring snack during activity (sweet & salty). Lunch can be ordered at hostel upon returning from hike. You'll be able to try some of the famous traditional dishes of Velebit Mountain.
Please contact us if you wish to make reservations for a lunch.
For your own safety and the pleasant stay in nature you need to know which minimum of equipment to use and bring with you. Below is a list of necessities for your trip that you'll always get from us, to prepare good for a tour. Mountain Traveller Croatia guides reserve the right to refuse providing service to those customers who do not have basic equipment.
In case you don't have basic and/or additional equipment please let us know and we'll provide the equipment for reasonable price.
Depending on the selected tour, you still need to bring personal basic equipment such as: shoes, clothing, sun protection, water bottle, snacks & isotonic drink, personal documents, medications if you use any, sleeping bag, personal hygiene and cash.
- Comfortable shoes (sneakers) or hiking boots
- Comfortable clothing + extra clothing (to change it later)
- Backpack (15-30 L)
- Sun protection (sunblock cream, cap, sunglasses)
- Weather protection (depending on weather conditions: umbrella or raincoat, wind-jacket)
- Water bottle ( min 2L)
- Snacks (energy bars) & isotonic drink
- Medications if you use any
- Personal documents (ID, medical insurance card )
Extra: Cash (for souvenirs, drinks and food not included in the program, guide tip)
All tours and programs must be paid prior to performing (no later than 15 days).
Cancellation by Customer
If a customer cancels a paid travel package/trip, Mountain Traveller Croatia is entitled to retain the following amounts of the total price of the travel package:
- up to 30 days prior to departure, 10% of the travel package price no less than 100 HRK
- 29-22 days prior to departure, 30% of the travel package price
- 21-15 days prior to departure, 40% of the travel package price
- 14-8 days prior to departure, 50% of the travel package price
- 7-0 days prior to departure and after departure, 70% of the travel package price
- no show – 100 % of the travel package price
Cancellation by Mountain Traveller Croatia
MTC reserves the right to cancel trips. If we are forced to cancel a trip we will attempt to find an adequate replacement. However MTC may not be held liable for any other losses incurred as a result of the cancellation of the planned activity.
Cancellation of a planned activity may occur due to:
- adverse weather conditions namely generally objective circumstances. No refunds will be issued for trips affected by acts of nature (storm, forest fire, stormy wind). These occur naturally in mountain environments and are beyond our control. If we believe these factors will affect the safety of a program, MTC reserves the right to relocate or reschedule a trip. If no arrangements can be reached to relocate or reschedule a trip, the cost will be credited towards another MTC program if used within a year
- failure of payment by client at least 7 days prior the trip
- if clients have less time available than agreed upon as that decreases the quality of the travel package/trip
In order to ensure your place in the MTC activities, clients must fill out a request and upon receipt of the offer they sent a reservation confirmation and deposit payment.The deposit is paid in the amount of 50% (currency: HRK) of the total price of the selected activity. The rest of payment is to be paid no later than 15 days before the date of the activity or documentation is provided of indisputable insurance of total payment of the activity. Whereupon the client does not fulfill his/her obligation no later than 15 days prior to the date of the trip, it shall be deemed that he/she has cancelled the reservation without the possibility of refunding the deposit.
Payments (currency HRK) can be made via the account at Splitska banka: 2330003-1153288854 (IBAN: HR3323300031153288854) or via Pay Pal.